Tuesday, April 23x-press.net - Unleash the News at the Speed of Thought!

Newcastle end Arsenal’s unbeaten streak as VAR allows Anthony Gordon’s controversial goal to stand

Arsenal have suffered their first Premier League defeat of the season as Newcastle ran out 1-0 winners in what was a fiery St James’ Park affair.

Anthony Gordon scored the only goal of the game for Newcastle on Saturday night, though it was only given following a lengthy VAR check.

Gordon scored the only goal of the game at St James' Park


Gordon scored the only goal of the game at St James’ ParkCredit: Getty

Initially, it was believed that the ball had gone out of play after a wayward shot, but former Arsenal star Joe Willock was adjudged to have kept it in.

VAR then checked if there was a foul on Gabriel Magalhaes after Joelinton leaned into the back of his compatriot, leaving the centre-back on the turf.

And there was then a lengthy look as to whether Gordon was offside from Joelinton’s header, but VAR said there was no clear picture of when the Brazilian’s header left his body and found the goalscorer.

It was, therefore, allowed to stand as there was no obvious reason to overturn the goal, leaving Mikel Arteta furious.

Newcastle then shut up shop and kept Arsenal at bay with some fine defensive work from Fabian Schar, Kieran Trippier and Jamal Lascelles, as well as Tino Livramento, who came on at half-time.

It means that Arsenal’s ten-game unbeaten start to the Premier League has come to an end.

As a result, the Gunners are now third in the table – behind leaders Manchester City, who beat Bournemouth 6-1 earlier on Saturday.

Tottenham, currently in second, have the chance to go five points clear of their north London rivals if they beat Chelsea on Monday night.

There was plenty of controversy in the match


There was plenty of controversy in the matchCredit: AFP
Bruno Guimaraes was lucky to avoid a red card for this albow on Jorginho


Bruno Guimaraes was lucky to avoid a red card for this albow on Jorginho

With Aston Villa and Liverpool set to play tomorrow, they could both go ahead of Arsenal with victories.

But while there was little goalmouth action on show at St James’ Park on Saturday, there was still plenty for the referee to deal with.

Both teams could have had a player sent off in the first-half when Kai Havertz scythed down Sean Longstaff recklessly.

Ref Stuart Atwell only brandished a yellow card, but could have easily shown a red with the German off the floor and coming in at pace.

And minutes later, Bruno Guimaraes might consider himself lucky not to have been sent off for appearing to elbow Jorginho in the back of the head.

Moments later, he booted the ball straight at Havertz from a free-kick and squared up to Declan Rice but half-time saved his bacon.

Nevertheless, this is a fantastic result for Newcastle, who are still in the hunt for another Champions League finish this season.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are back at the Emirates on Wednesday night when they face Sevilla in the European Cup.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *